Simple, Delicious Banoffee Recipe
Banoffee is one of my all-time favourite desserts but I struggle to find the time to make them. Well, for those of us who are time poor I have found a few simple ways to cheat and still create a scrumptious dessert.
- Pre-made tart base (available at most supermarkets)
- 300g dark cooking chocolate
- 2 x Banana
- 1 x can (395g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 300ml thickened cream
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon sweetener or icing sugar
- Melt the dark chocolate. There are many ways to melt chocolate. The way that works best for me is to put it all in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave. Start with 60 seconds after which you take it out and stir then put it back in for 30 second intervals stirring after each until all the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the base, spreading up the sides to form a thin layer. Cover and put in fridge to set.
- Place the condensed milk, brown sugar and butter into a saucepan and cook on low heat, continuously stirring until mixture is smooth and thick. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Pour caramel mixture into the base, cover and place in fridge to set.
- Chop bananas into thin slices and cover caramel.
- Whip thickened cream. Just before the cream is fully whipped, add vanilla essence and sugar to sweeten. Spread whipped cream over the banana slices. Decorate with chocolate shavings, banana or nuts and serve immediately.
How easy was that! For a tasty dessert, this is so simple and a bit of fun.